Friday 3 April 2015

Connecting Essay 3

Internet Photograph:

My Own Photograph:

The photograph that I chose from the internet depicts a hand holding a cigarette, this photograph is in black and white which brings out the shadows within the photograph and shows which way the sunlight is shining due to the extreme light and dark areas of the photograph. This photograph is taken from above and is fitted equally in the frame at the side with an equal amount of space at the top and bottom as if it were a portrait, this shows that the photographer wanted to draw the attention of the viewer to the hand.

The photograph of my own I have chosen tells the story of a smoker holding her cigarette, I took this photograph from the front due to the fact I thought it gave a more realistic view of the cigarette, I didnt want to take a photograph that glorifies smoking as much however I did want to take a photo that could possibly be used to show its negative sides, due to the fact there is many of them. I chose to keep this photograph in colour in order to show the contrast in colours between the natural yellow of the sunlight and the artificial yellow of the cigarette end.

These photos are similar in theme, they are both photographs of hands holding cigarettes however the first image suggests a glorification of smoking due to the heavy editing that has been done and the photographer clearly set up the photo in this way in order to lead the eye of the viewer up the hand then to the cigarette, however in my photograph I worked towards an aim of de-glamorising the cigarette.

No comments:

Post a Comment